Monday, June 22, 2009

The greatest part of the job

I enjoy the fact that by doing my job well I reunite families and help people live in the greatest country in the world. What I really enjoy, though, with a kind of oversuperior relish, is helping people who have already been told by other immigration attorneys that they have "no chance" at relief from deportation. There is nothing better than to take a frightenened and tormented individual and tell them they have nothing to worry about, because the immigration law provides relief for them. I am not able to do this in every case, but I am able to do it often.

In one of my favorite cases, my client came to see me after she saw a well known Tampa immigration attorney. She was in deportation proceedings because she lied about being unmarried at the time she got her green card (she was married, and not eligble for the green card). The other attorney told her there was nothing she could do, and he encouraged her to make plans to leave the country. When my client got home from the consultation with this lawyer, she got a phone call from a realtor, who wanted to know if she needed help selling her home. She believes that the realtor was told of her situation by the lawyer she met, which would be a shocking violation of attorney-client priviledge.

My client came to see me for a second opinion (thank God!) and I was able to tell her that she was going nowhere, she did not have to make plans to leave, and that I would help her regain her lawful permanent residence. My client is again a permanent resident, waiting for citizenship, and she and her family never had to move. I love this job!

No comments:

Post a Comment